We typically hear, people have an infestation at school and think that their kids can get lice just by passing other students in the halls who have it. The fact is that head lice don’t jump, swim or fly. Simply put, without actual strands of hair to grab onto with their claws that are on their legs, they have a very hard time moving around. They can crawl quickly through hair strands, so coming into direct hair contact with someone else that has lice is how a scratchy problem can start. It doesn’t take much for a louse to hitch a ride on one single strand of your hair and make its way home to your scalp. But there are some common myths that still have some people scratching their heads:
- Only those with bad hygiene get head lice
- Myth: Lice aren’t choosey. They only care that you are part human. The lice spread through head-to-head contact, and even that it doesn’t guarantee infestation, but chances are most likely then. That’s why we suggest not to share hats, combs, scarves, or other items like that.
- Pets can carry head lice
- Myth: Sorry, you can’t blame a head lice infestation on poor Rufus! The specific lice strain that affects us, humans are actually host-specific. This means that they prefer the taste of humans, and Rufus’ blood just doesn’t satisfy what they are looking for.
- If someone is scratching their head non-stop, they must have lice
- Myth: Though scratching can be a first sign indicator someone may have head lice; it is not the only reason someone may be itching. They may have a case of dry skin or seborrheic dermatitis could be the reason for scratching the scalp excessively.
We know, we have been there ourselves! Dealing with head lice can make anyone go into a panic, but there is no need to worry. If lice infestations do occur, make sure to disinfect everything that can be cleaned, and do thorough head checks often. If you have any questions or need a head lice removal treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us. At Lice Clinics of America – San Antonio West, which proudly serves Atascosa, Boerne, Castroville, Helotes, La Coste, Lackland, Mico, Pipe Creek, Rio Medina, San Antonio, Van Ormy and surrounding areas in Texas, we are here to help! Our heated removal process is the only guaranteed way to remove head lice in 1 quick, easy, and safe treatment, so your kids and family members can get back to the things they enjoy. Call us today to schedule an appointment at 210-405-5423!